Thursday 21 August 2014

Visitors From Holland

At short notice we had word that Kiera's Dad and Step Mum were over from Holland and would be staying with us for a couple of nights.

Good job the kids were away, or they would be sleeping either on the floor or in "Duckie"!

They arrived on Saturday and after I had finished work headed home to meet them for the first time.

A bit daunting even at my age meeting your girlfriends Dad for the first time! But it all turned out well.

Sunday we took a trip to "Molly's Den" a big industrial unit full of antique stalls, had a good browse and bought a couple of postcards. Kiera spent rather more than me and ended up with bags and cups and saucers!

Then we took a trip out to Blackfield which is where Peter  (Kiera's Dad) was born to find the actual house he was born in. This we did, but there was no one in when he knocked the door as I think he would of liked a look around his old house.

On then to Lepe beach, now a nature reserve but during WW2 it was an important area. This is where the pipeline left the main land before heading over to the Isle of Wight and then onto France. Without this pipeline, fuel would of been in very short supply if not impossible to get hold of and the invasion would of failed. Not only this but here is where a lot of the Mulberry Harbours were built and it was a major embarkation point.



We had lunch in "Duckie" with four adults sat around the table, followed by  ice cream.

On our return it was a quick change as we were off out that night for a curry with some of the lads and their partners from work. At the end of the evening as we were all settling the bill, Peter became very insistent that he was going to pay for Kiera and I. So much so that he threatened to stuff my card up my arse if I didn't put it away!

A late but enjoyable evening was had by all.

Monday night I cooked a Lasagne, not my best by far, but it went down ok.

Tuesday night we headed out to "The Haven" at Lymington Marina. Here they cook the best Mussel's ever!



Peter (Kiera's Dad) - Kiera


Another late night, not helped by the fact that the following morning I had to be up at 0400hrs for work!

Peter and Annamarie left on Wednesday morning to catch their ferry back home armed with large jars of pickled eggs and onions!

An enjoyable few days, and now back to the grindstone of work.

Till later.........

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you knew this but the pipe line from the mainland to the Isle of Wight and France was known as PLUTO - Pipe Line Under The Ocean. I found that out while on holiday on the Isle of Wight when I was twelve.

    ReplyDelete